How To Take the Doors off a Jeep
One of the best things about owning a Jeep around Tomah is the ability to take your Jeep apart and immerse yourself in nature. It’s not difficult to take the doors and top off, but the doors weigh about 70 pounds a piece, so it is a good idea to have help. It really isn’t possible to remove the Jeep hardtop without assistance. Read on to find out how to take the doors off a Jeep around Mauston and how to take a top off a Jeep. Contact us with any questions or to order the special hex wrench kit.
How to Remove Jeep Doors
It is very easy to remove the doors from your Jeep. Keep in mind that the doors are heavy, so be sure you have a firm hold on the door when you release it or have someone to help hold the door. Also, be sure to place the door stems in the specially labeled storage compartment at the back of the vehicle so you do not lose them.
Remove the front doors:
- Push the side mirror toward the door
- Roll down the window
- Remove the hinge bolts using a hex wrench. This kit may have come with your Jeep or you can purchase it from Morrie's Tomah CDJR.
- Remove the stem from the hinge and store it in the convenient rear storage compartment.
- If you have power windows and locks, you will need to disconnect the wiring harness at the bottom of the door.
- The last step is to open the final latch. Be sure to hold the door securely before releasing the latch or the door might hit the front panel of your Jeep and make a dent.
Remove the back doors:
- Pull the front seat all the way forward.
- Pop the panel off of the B pillar and unplug the wiring.
- Disconnect the latch.
- Remove the pins and place them in the storage area.
- Lift the door off.
How To Take a Top off a Jeep
When you decide to take the top off of your Jeep, it’s a good idea to have another person help. The top is heavy and bulky. It is easy to damage your vehicle.
Take off a Jeep hard top:
- Start with the driver’s side freedom panel first. Unlatch the panel and unscrew the twist at the back. Get out, push on the panel from the inside, and lift it off. Repeat for the other side.
- You can store the panels in the back and drive your Jeep this way.
- If you want to remove the back section of the roof, you will need the hex wrench to unscrew the bolts in the front and back of the top. Store the bolts in the marked areas in the rear storage compartment.
- Before attempting to lift the top off, be sure to disconnect the rear windshield wiper assembly.
- Carefully lift the top off, being careful to clear the spare tire on the passenger side. Place the top in a safe location and you are ready to hit the road around Camp Douglas!
Come See the 2023 Jeep Lineup Today!
When you are ready to try to take apart a Jeep and embrace freedom, come to Morrie's Tomah CDJR to see our inventory of new 2023 models or our collection of quality preowned vehicles.